Re: [opensuse] Sick of this...
On 07/07/12 20:11, Per Jessen wrote:
Mike wrote:

On Friday, July 06, 2012 08:28:01 AM James Hatridge wrote:
Hi Per,

On Friday, July 06, 2012 03:32:19 PM Per Jessen wrote:
James Hatridge wrote:
Hi all,

Is it not about time for this mailing list to come in to the 21th
century? This is the ONLY email list that I have to turn off HTML
formatting to send a post to. Everytime I forget it I get this:
Depending on which emailer you're using, you ought to store that as
preference of the email-address (of the list). Thunderbird has
such an option.
So far you're the only one to give a real answer to this, thanks for
that. Do you know if kmail has this option? I've not been able to
find it. But this still bring us back to the first question. Why does
this list not keep up with the times. Ten years ago, when almost no
one had anything faster than 56k then it was understandable. But now
even someone one out in the middle of no where Germany has at least
DSL 2000 so this rule is silly. I'm on over 60 lists and am the owner
of 4. This is the only list I have this problem with.

JIM
I disagree. I could care less about pretty. That's all that HTML
brings to the stage.
We're going OT, but HTML does allow a lot more than just being pretty.
Sometimes presentation does matter, also in email.

Tell me, what exactly would HTML bring to any message in this technical mail list, or any other mail list for that matter? What exactly would make a "presentation" in this so much better if one used HTML?

You want to emphasise a word by writing it in bold letters? Simply add a "*" before and after the word, like this *word*.

You want to emphasise a word by underlining it? Place an underscore before and after the word.

You want to write a word in italics? This is also possible (but I have forgotten what that is at the moment).

You want to add a smiley? Use, say, Thunderbird, which has a menu of smileys to add to your post. Or use the ASCII codes to create smileys, such as ":-)".

Oh, you want to post a pretty picture in your post? Then you have the option of using, say, something like picpaste or Suse Paste where you simply include in your message the URL of your pretty picture. And the nice thing about using these is that *nobody* on this list will get thousands of unwanted bytes which go to make up a picture which the poster thought was cute and wanted to foist it on everybody here (for example) - and only those who go to the URL will download the thousands of bytes making up the pretty picture.

The only sensible answer so far I have read is from Arun Khan.

If you overlooked his post, go back, find it, and read it.

Most of the people here seem to be sitting behind computers which are connected to high speed broadband or are connected to the internet for which they pay nothing out of their own pockets but are using company resources to do their internet communications or do pay for their own internet usage but have a job and an income which allows them the luxury of cluttering their volume usage with useless crap and paying for it.

Reread what Arun wrote.

BC

--
Using openSUSE 12.2 x86_64 KDE 4.8.4 & kernel 3.4.4.2 on a system with-
AMD FX 8-core 3.6/4.2GHz processor