Re: [opensuse] Sick of this...
  • From: ianseeks <ianseeks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 07 Jul 2012 07:30:46 +0100
On Saturday 07 Jul 2012 13:29:31 Noel Butler wrote:
On Fri, 2012-07-06 at 20:26 +0530, Arun Khan wrote:
On Fri, Jul 6, 2012 at 7:58 PM, James Hatridge <James.Hatridge@xxxxxx>
wrote:
So far you're the only one to give a real answer to this, thanks for
that. Do you know if kmail has this option? I've not been able to find
it. But this still bring us back to the first question. Why does this
list not keep up with the times.

Please read the responses on this issue. The mailing list programs
are not behind times. Text only mode is the setting. This is true
for *all* FOSS technical mailing lists that I am a member (openSUSE,
CentOS, Debian, bridge-utils, linux-kvm, openwrt, zeroshell, voyage
linux ......)

It has nothing to do with cheaper storage and/or faster bandwidth.

It does, that's the excuse we used to give 15 plus years ago, it just
stuck around, times change, hell, it was only late 2000's that I stopped
using pine for all mail/usenet :)

Whereas, HTML formatted messages are the norm in Web forums and you
will hardly see any pure text based discussions and that is OK for Web
forum as you view them in your web browser.

Ten years ago, when almost no one had anything faster than 56k then
it was understandable. But now even someone one out in the middle of no
where Germany has at least DSL 2000 so this rule is silly. I'm on over
60 lists and am the owner of 4. This is the only list I have this
problem with.>
Not true Please see above.

Actually he is kinda right, just because the few lists you suggest don't
use it, thousands more do use it.

If the list used a list manager from this century, it can be configured
to convert HTML into TEXT avoiding pissing off users all the time.

what would the point be of the list manager converting it?
More to the point, why would you want to have HTML emails other than to send
spam advertising, attempts at hacking your system, having pretty pictures
displayed in a software issues mailing list? I'm at a loss to see why you'd
want HTML active in a mailing list.

Noel
(Who for nearly two decades was anal about html posters - but know even
I accept it is a reality and don't care - unless you send to our
helpdesk/abusedesk blah blah then we enforce text)