Re: [opensuse] Power failed, won't boot up to desktop
On Fri, 2012-07-06 at 16:14 +1000, Basil Chupin wrote:
On 06/07/12 03:49, Mark Misulich wrote:
Hi,
my friends suffered a power failure at their farm while their computer
was running opensuse 11.4. When the power came back on, opensuse won't
boot back up.

When they try to boot the computer, they get to a screen that says

FAILED:module ata_piix not found

I tried putting the computer in text mode (level 3) to see if I could do
a zypper up or zypper dup in the hopes that that would repair the
problem. But it didn't work, what came up was a notice in red that says
something like REPAIR FILE SYSTEM.

Can someone on the list help me to correct this problem?

Thanks.

The assumption to what I write is that the file system being used is one
of the ext fs - ext2, ext3, ext4. If it is reiserfs then slightly
different instructions will apply.

At the grub boot menu, type in 'init 1' (without the quotes).

Login as root at the prompt.

type 'fdisk -l' <ENTER> to get the listing of the HDD/HDDs being used -
the idea here is to find which partition contains the '/root' or the
operating system. Let's say that this found to be 'sda2'. Once you know
what this partition is, type this:

mount -o remount,ro /dev/sda2 [The 'o' here is the letter 'o' and not
zero '0' - right? :-) ]

then type in

e2fsck /dev/sda2

and answer the questions which come up (in all cases the answer would
probably be "yes"). HOWEVER, note here that you do NOT use the "-p"
parameter when executing the above: you do NOT want automatic fixes to
be done by e2fsck because you want to see what the information about
what the corruptions were.

After the error fixing has been done, type a slightly modified version
of the command above:

remount -o remount,rw /dev/sda2 <ENTER>

Type in 'init 5' - or simply reboot - to boot into the system.

BC

Thanks Basil, that fixed the problem.