Re: [opensuse] Automatic option synaptics driver gone from settings.[SOLVED]
On 07/05/2012 01:54 AM, Roger Oberholtzer wrote:
On Wed, 2012-07-04 at 12:14 -0400, Doug wrote:

I'm not sure that synaptics is the program you want. I have synaptics on
a laptop in order to disable the touchpad when an external pointing
device is
plugged in, Has nothing to do with the action on the keyboard. I could
not live without the function that I'm using; I have had a program--NOT
synaptics--that does what you say, disable the touchpad while typing,
and it drove me crazy. The millisecond I stopped hitting a key, the
touchpad would activate and move the cursor someplace I didn't want.
But if that's the function you want, I don't think it's from synaptics.
(As you can see, I'm not a fan of touchpads! Nor of mice, for that matter--
I have a nice Kensington trackball on each of my computers. I don't
actually use the laptop in on-the-go situations.)

There may indeed be another program. But this was at one point in time
part of the synaptics control program. You could set a delay telling how
long after you stopped typing before the pad would once again be
enabled. It really worked fine. Then, one day, it was gone. Poof. No
trace. I now do a sort of shape exercise for my hands, keeping them away
from the pad when typing.

Of course, having the pad disabled automatically when another mouse is
available would also do the trick. When I have an external mouse I do
not use the pad at all. I will have to re-investigate this.

Yours sincerely,

Roger Oberholtzer

Hi,

In my .bash_profile, I use this option:

synclient TouchpadOff=1

synclient - commandline utility to query and modify Synaptics driver
options.

Turns that sucker off like there is no tomorrow.

Regards,

Phil

--
Carpe Aptenodytes! (Seize the Penguins!)