Re: [opensuse] bind DNS: forwarders not working unless named is restarted
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 04 Jul 2012 07:57:22 +0200
lynn wrote:

On 03/07/12 20:31, Per Jessen wrote:

So which one is it -

a) is forwarding attempted, but fails or
b) is it not attempted at all?

Without a wireshark (next step I suppose, was just hoping someone else
had come across this before and had a solution), I'd go for b.

Here's the thing - whether or not forwarding is working, the name lookup
should work. Forwarding is just a way of pointing bind to some "upper"
name-servers; without forwarding, bind will still do the lookup, just
directly.
I guess you know forwarding is broken because your queries aren't
forwarded to the _right_ nameservers? I mean, you have a special
reason for needing to use the dragonet.es nameservers?

I think it would be good to verify if forwarding happens or not (use
tcpdump) and then do a "dig <something>", then "dig +trace <something>"
that will require forwarding. That ought to give us something to start
on.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (17.2°C)