Re: [opensuse] bind DNS: forwarders not working unless named is restarted
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 03 Jul 2012 19:24:10 +0200
lynn wrote:

On 03/07/12 13:07, Carlos E. R. wrote:

On 2012-07-03 11:56, lynn wrote:

/etc/boot.local but it seems that the network is still not up when
boot.local is run.

You do know that boot.local is not supported by systemd, you have to
add the support yourself.

Hi Carlos, hi everyone

No. boot.local works fine with systemd. Just add your commands to
/etc/init.d/boot.local and it runs them. I can't find out _when_ it
runs them however.

And the implementations I have seen do not
guarantee the point where it runs: not at the very start of the boot
sequence, not at the end...

You could use cron with an @reboot line, maybe it runs later; if not,
simply add a delay in your script or call line.

Yeah, I know. I just get the feeling we're losing it a bit at the
server end. On peanut-gallery 12.04 Linux, the forwarders just work.
With us, they don't. I know it's niggles and I know that there are
workarounds.

Lynn, I guess you've looked at _how_ they don't work? That is, is
forwarding attempted, but fails or is it not attempted at all? The
former would indicate a network issue, the latter a bind issue (which I
tend to think is unlikely).

I think that for openSUSE servers, 11.4 evergreen or 12.1 with
sysvinit is the way to go.

With updates, systemd does end up working quite well, but I certainly
wouldn't install 12.1 for anything with a long life expectancy.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (21.0°C)