RE: [opensuse] where should I put self-signed certificates for Apache 2 in OpenSuse 12.1
  • From: "Ted Byers" <r.ted.byers@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 2 Jul 2012 09:17:08 -0400
From: Per Jessen [mailto:per@xxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: July-02-12 2:10 AM
To: opensuse@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [opensuse] where should I put self-signed certificates for
Apache 2
in OpenSuse 12.1

Ted Byers wrote:

That said, I figure that since I have openssl installed on my Suse VM,
and I know how to use it from having created self-signed certificates
for Apache2 on Windows, I ought to be able to use it to create them on
Suse, but the problem remains were to put them so that Apache2 will
find them, and what configuration file to edit to tell Apache2 where
they are.

You put them in /etc/apache2/ssl.[crt|key].

Thanks. got it and done.

The configuration file to edit is the one containing your host or virtual
configuration, e.g. /etc/apache2/vhosts.d/example.conf

Actually, in that directory I found two vhost template files, one with and one
without SSL. I just copied the one with SSL to a file with the same root and
the conf extension (and ensured the file names for the certificates were the
same as those I created.

Your configuration file would probably contain these (or similar) statements
too:

SSLEngine on
SSLCertificateFile /etc/apache2/ssl.crt/example SSLCertificateKeyFile
/etc/apache2/ssl.key/example SSLProtocol all SSLCipherSuite HIGH:MEDIUM

To acticate SSL in apache, you need to modify /etc/sysconfig/apache to include
"SSL" in APACHE_SERVER_FLAGS.

Thank. Right, this I expected from having set up several apache servers on
Windows.

On both VMs, I have found a bunch of 'certificate' directories all
over the place, but which application installed and uses them I have
no idea.

This might tell you:
rpm -qf <directory|file>

Thanks I'll give that a try.

I reasoned that a quick HOWTO document ought to address this, so I
opened httpd.conf on the Suse box, and found the following:

# Quickstart guide:
# http://en.opensuse.org/Apache_Quickstart_HOWTO

Alas, when I went to it, it was EMPTY!

Not entirely empty - it links to:

http://old-en.opensuse.org/Apache_Quickstart_HOWTO

Something happened to our wiki setup at some point, and it looks like a lot of
content is still in flux.

Hmmm. Sorry. I don't know how I missed that link before.

Anyway, thanks. next steps? set up subversion, redmine and Wordpress......

Thanks again

Ted