Re: [opensuse] where should I put self-signed certificates for Apache 2 in OpenSuse 12.1
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 02 Jul 2012 08:09:45 +0200
Ted Byers wrote:

That said, I figure that since I have openssl
installed on my Suse VM, and I know how to use it from having created
self-signed certificates for Apache2 on Windows, I ought to be able to
use it to create them on Suse, but the problem remains were to put
them so that Apache2 will find them, and what configuration file to
edit to tell Apache2 where they are.

You put them in /etc/apache2/ssl.[crt|key].

The configuration file to edit is the one containing your host or
virtual configuration, e.g. /etc/apache2/vhosts.d/example.conf

Your configuration file would probably contain these (or similar)
statements too:

SSLEngine on
SSLCertificateFile /etc/apache2/ssl.crt/example
SSLCertificateKeyFile /etc/apache2/ssl.key/example
SSLProtocol all
SSLCipherSuite HIGH:MEDIUM

To acticate SSL in apache, you need to modify /etc/sysconfig/apache to
include "SSL" in APACHE_SERVER_FLAGS.

On both VMs, I have found a bunch of 'certificate' directories all
over the place, but which application installed and uses them I have
no idea.

This might tell you:
rpm -qf <directory|file>

I reasoned that a quick HOWTO document ought to address this, so I
opened httpd.conf on the Suse box, and found the following:

# Quickstart guide:
# http://en.opensuse.org/Apache_Quickstart_HOWTO

Alas, when I went to it, it was EMPTY!

Not entirely empty - it links to:

http://old-en.opensuse.org/Apache_Quickstart_HOWTO

Something happened to our wiki setup at some point, and it looks like a
lot of content is still in flux.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (15.6°C)