Re: [opensuse] problems building perl 5.14.2 or 5.16.0 using RPMBUILD, build from tar or perlbrew (a cpan util)
  • From: Anders Johansson <ajh@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 01 Jul 2012 04:56:54 +0200
On Sunday 01 July 2012 04:20:11 Anders Johansson wrote:
On Monday 25 June 2012 11:28:09 Linda Walsh wrote:
Philipp Thomas wrote:
* Linda Walsh (suse@xxxxxxxxx) [20120623 09:28]:
gcc: error trying to exec 'cc1': execvp: No such file or directory

cat >lin.c

What's the output of »gcc --verbose --version« ? And what's the output
of
»rpm -qa | grep -F gcc«?

Philipp

----
When I can reproduce the error (from a fresh login the above doesn't
happen
only from
env -i sh
or env -i dash
(but from a fresh login, Configure doesn't work correctly ...)

I don't know what a "fresh login" means, but your gcc problem comes from the
env -i, something about $PWD

Actually it seems to be a problem with $PATH, for some reason gcc is not
inheriting it, so it looks for its binary with a search path of .

stop doing env -i

This is still true. It is a silly thing

or

env -i dash
cd /usr/bin

PATH=/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/bin
export PATH

gcc --verbose --version

I suspect the point is that the shell variable you get when you do echo $PATH
is not a part of the environment and so doesn't get inherited on execve() -
if you do env instead of echo $PATH you can see what your inheritable
environment looks like. By explicitly doing the export you put it into the
environment and so it gets inherited.

To sum up: stop doing env -i

Anders