Re: [opensuse] Is my machine too old for OS 12.1 ?
On 2012/03/30 18:54 (GMT+0100) Bob Williams composed:

On 30/03/12 17:31, Felix Miata wrote:

nomodeset is not a correct way to get boot messages displayed. Instead,
modify /boot/grub/menu.lst get rid of quiet, and change splash=silent to
splash=verbose. Do the same in /etc/sysconfig/bootloader if you want to
keep it that way when kernels are updated.

My Intel 945 and 915 chipset desktop machines work OK, so your newer 965
laptop should be no worse if running at full power.

Well, I tried your suggestion, and I'm sorry to say, it didn't work. A
lot of messages scrolled rapidly down the screen, then the screen went
black. When the hard drive light stopped flickering I entered the
encryption password, and the system continued booting to the login screen.

So, I think I'll stay with the 'quiet' and 'nomodeset' options.

It's not unusual for laptops to provide defective EDID to the driver. Adding video=1024x768@60 (or whatever resolution you prefer or need) may prevent the blackness.

Nomodeset is bad news. It forces X to fall back to a slow generic driver that does not support desktop bling. video= only works when KMS is enabled (by default). With nomodeset, the console modes are controlled by the legacy vga= framebuffer parameters, and also with KMS for the early seconds of init prior to Intel driver initialization, after which video= takes over.

Felix Miata *** http://fm.no-ip.com/