Re: [opensuse] Is my machine too old for OS 12.1 ?
On 2012/03/30 17:11 (GMT+0100) Bob Williams composed:

Are the nouveau drivers involved during boot? Systemd/sysinitv are just
outputting plain text messages to the console screen.

When nomodeset is not invoked, the native driver is initialized early during init.

I had to invoke 'nomodeset' on my Dell Inspiron 1525 laptop to see these
messages, as I have an encrypted /home, and I have no way of knowing
when cryptsetup requests the passphrase, apart from lack of activity of
the hard drive light.

My display chipset is Intel Mobile GM965/GL960 Integrated Graphics
Controller, not Nvidia. I'm running openSUSE 12.1 with KDE4.

nomodeset is not a correct way to get boot messages displayed. Instead, modify /boot/grub/menu.lst get rid of quiet, and change splash=silent to splash=verbose. Do the same in /etc/sysconfig/bootloader if you want to keep it that way when kernels are updated.

My Intel 945 and 915 chipset desktop machines work OK, so your newer 965 laptop should be no worse if running at full power.

Felix Miata *** http://fm.no-ip.com/