Re: [opensuse] Is my machine too old for OS 12.1 ?
On 27/03/12 03:33, Carlos E. R. wrote:
On 2012-03-27 03:56, Basil Chupin wrote:
On 27/03/12 12:10, Carlos E. R. wrote:

Someone else may explain better.

OK, it would be nice to know.

Yep :-)

My monitor is 1920x1080p and when I used "nomodeset" in the past recent
weeks installing MS #1 and #2 my screen defaulted to 1240xsomething and
not to anythink like 640x480 - but that was for me so others' experiences
will no doubt be different.

That's it. Even for you a drop to 1240 is a loss, you would notice that
something was amiss. I understood that not enabling nomedeset was a
compromise - as almost everything in engineering.

It is an unfortunate situation.

If nouveau worked always or mostly, and better, it would be a wonderful
world. No more recompiling drivers on kernel change, no problems of sudden
black screens, no more downloading drivers on install. But it is not so and
many need the proprietary driver.

If I'm not mistaken (I haven checked lately) I can use both, I'm fortunate.
Almost, because the nouveau did not hibernate well for me, and did not have
hardware accel. And it is not easy to test once you are using the
proprietary driver, no bootup switch to choose one or the other at full
power, to check on their improvements.

Are the nouveau drivers involved during boot? Systemd/sysinitv are just
outputting plain text messages to the console screen.

I had to invoke 'nomodeset' on my Dell Inspiron 1525 laptop to see these
messages, as I have an encrypted /home, and I have no way of knowing
when cryptsetup requests the passphrase, apart from lack of activity of
the hard drive light.

My display chipset is Intel Mobile GM965/GL960 Integrated Graphics
Controller, not Nvidia. I'm running openSUSE 12.1 with KDE4.

Bob
--
Bob Williams
System: Linux 3.1.9-1.4-desktop