Re: [opensuse] 15 partition limit on SATA drives
  • From: Greg Freemyer <greg.freemyer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2012 08:32:26 -0400
On Fri, Mar 30, 2012 at 1:45 AM, Felix Miata <mrmazda@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 2012/03/30 00:23 (GMT-0400) Joe Zien composed:

I am using suse 12.1 on a new ThinkCenter 64bit computer
with an Intel core i5 processor and a 250GB SATA drive.
I can only use 15 partitions, over 65GB unused.

Also have an old ThinkCenter 32bit pentium 4 comp with a 1TB SATA
drive and only 15 drives, over 600GB unused.

What is the best way to overcome this limitation?

What partitioning tool are you trying to use? The 15 partition limit died
something like two years ago. I'm using more than 15 partitions on all of my
SATA systems. The openSUSE installers see them all.

I agree with Felix.

The kernel was updated long ago to handle 15+ partitions. Here's a 4
year old article talking about the patch series at that time.

http://lwn.net/Articles/290141/

Note that Heo Tejun was a SUSE employee at the time, so this is work
our favorite distro sponsored.

That patch went into the mainline kernel at roughly the time of that
article. (Maybe a year later, I don't recall)

Any userspace tools that don't offer 15+ partitions need updating.

So the "workaround" is to use tools that have support for 15+ partitions.

Greg