Re: [opensuse] How to resize root partition using resize2fs in opensuse 12.1
yanliang said the following on 03/28/2012 07:05 PM:

I want to enlarge my root partition.So I use the resize2fs command.
But when I run the command,I got the following information:

linux-ua9t:~ # resize2fs /dev/sda8 20G
resize2fs 1.41.14 (22-Dec-2010)
The filesystem is already 5242880 blocks long. Nothing to do!

How can I enlarge my root partition?

First, check the list archives.
This seems recurring question.
Has it been transferred to the Wiki?
I know I've answered it at least twice.

The short answer is that 'resize2fs;' is for resizing the file system.
It can only grow as big as the partition.

Unless you use LVM your partitions are set when you did the install and
you can see them with tools like gparted (for graphics) or cfdisk (for CLI).

You can't simply move the end point of one partition to make it larger
since that will overwrite the start of the next partition and the file
system there. A good way to hose your system.

That is why I recommend using LVM whenever you install a system.

All this is discussed back in the list archives as well as other approaches.

--
wind catches lily
scatt'ring petals to the wind