Re: [opensuse] Should openSUSE review it's Security Policies?

On 03/28/2012 07:04 PM, James Knott wrote:
Jos Poortvliet wrote:
They are being reconsidered. Heck, some have been changed already, and
others might. Also, Linus is not always right - some of the things he
complained about were not oS' fault but GNOME Shell (which can't decouple
changing timezones for the clock of a single user vs from changing time
systemwide) and lacking printer drivers (if you don't have the printer
driver you need a root password to install one).

He was certainly right about the Wifi and printer config. Just today, I
was at a customer site and had to set up my computer to use their
printer. I couldn't have done it as a mere mortal user with openSUSE
12.1. I could as a regular user in Windows.

What if the appropriate printer driver isn't already on the system? Are you implying that you are OK with installing printer driver packages as user? IMHO a lot of people will have an issue with that. How do you then differentiate the printer driver package form other packages?

I am not saying there may not be an issue. But, just saying users should be able to configure any printer simplifies things just a tat too much.

WiFi is different as the firmware package for the machine will be pulled in at install time, no additional install needed later.

Later,
Robert

Tech Lead
rjschwei@xxxxxxxx