Re: [opensuse] Should openSUSE review it's Security Policies?
  • From: Jos Poortvliet <jos@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2012 22:33:21 +0200
On Wednesday 29 February 2012 14:40:13 Larry Stotler wrote:
As many are aware, Linus Torvalds has started a rant about the
security policies in openSUSE for things that require the root
password. From his Google+
post(https://plus.google.com/102150693225130002912/posts/1vyfmNCYpi5),
he names these:

Time Zone changes
Adding a Printer
Adding a wireless network.

Now, I don't usually see the wireless issue because KNetworkmanager in
KDE3(which I use) has never asked the root password for adding a new
network.

While at 37, I've never changed timezones(I lead a boring life) I
would have to agree that having to use the root password for this
would be annoying if I needed to change it because of a flight or
something.

I've worked with Linus on a hardware issue years ago, and I think we
should probably at least consider reviewing the policies if they do
need changed.

They are being reconsidered. Heck, some have been changed already, and
others might. Also, Linus is not always right - some of the things he
complained about were not oS' fault but GNOME Shell (which can't decouple
changing timezones for the clock of a single user vs from changing time
systemwide) and lacking printer drivers (if you don't have the printer
driver you need a root password to install one).

/Jos

Just my 2 cents.