Re: [opensuse] Re: how to change users home directory
lynn wrote:
El 26/03/12 13:36, Anton Aylward escribió:
jdd said the following on 03/26/2012 05:51 AM:

may be mount /home2 (--bind?) on /home, you can still access it
directly (not tested, just a guess)

Call me paranoid but ... I'd never mount directly on /home

It's not paranoid. The box I'm working on is an exception on our network. It
is the only box which has a local user. All the other Linux boxes have an
empty /home and simply use it as a mount point.

That's the problem.

TGhey are nfs mounting /home (asking for trouble)
rather than automounting /home//username, which is
the PROPER way of doing NFS-mounted home directories.

Your company's admins are both lazy and incompetent, at
least at his task. Expect hem to whine and complain
when you ask them to fix the problem they created and
push out proper automount tables listing each user
rather than just lazily assuming that all users
accounts will always be stored within one and only one
/home filesystem on one and only one server.

All my NFS mounts are onto
/mnt/<server_name>/<whatever>
and I the use mount --bind to or a symlink to put thing where they
expect to be.

Having the home directory on a server and NFS mounting it to the
workstation is old, old, old, dating back to the use of NFS by SUN in
the 1980s. I've encountered it at many places I've worked and set it up
at many others, all based on that technique above and what amounts to
"NFS on demand". All this is well documented in many HOW-TOs on the net.

I don't think that having alternative login directories for certain
accounts is odd. After all, we have root at /root and others in
/var/spool/ and /usr/lib. The issue is access permissions.

So what went wrong?
Perhaps we need a sneak at the entries in your /etc/passwd file.
As someone said, you can't have two home directories, only one for each
account.
No. It's much simpler than that. I have an nfs lan account and a local
account on a particular machine. I have good reasons to keep the account
local, otherwise I would have opted for a workaround.

I think we've forgotten the problem.
Here is the original /etc/passwd entry:
lynn:x:1000:100::/home/lynn:/bin/bash

I change it to
mkdir /home2
cp -a /home/lynn /home2
chmod -R lynn:users /home2/lynn
chmod -R lynn:users /home2/lynn/.*
edit /etc/passwd to
lynn:x:1000:100::/home2/lynn:/bin/bash
mount -t nfs4 /server:/home /home -osec=krb5

It now takes ages to login to my local account (before or after the mount)
and I do not see my icon on the lxdm login greeter.

Perhaps there was a problem with copying. In circumstances like that I
use rsync rather than cp. In fact when I think about it, I rarely use
cp at all ... All those hidden directories are important and its easy
to forget about them.
Perhaps ... perhaps ... perhaps ...

/var/log/messages also draws a blank wrt login details. As I say, all is well
apart from the annoying delay. Ahhgghh!
L x