Re: [opensuse] how to change users home directory
lynn wrote:
El 25/03/12 15:06, Carlos E. R. escribió:

On 2012-03-25 09:56, lynn wrote:
12.1 LXDE
Hi
I want to move a home directory from /home/lynn to /home2/lynn

I used Yast to set the new directory. All is well but now I do not show up
in the ldxe login screen (I have to type my username rather than click on
my icon in the login list) and login takes over 3 minutes.

Curious.

Not showing in the list might indicate it lists directories in /home.
Create a new directory for no user in /home and check..
I created a new user in /home: All OK. User appears on the loin screen and
the login is instantaneous
I created a new user in /home2: OK for the first login and then the delay
again. No user appearance on login screen.

The delay no idea.

There are other temporary spaces under /var something. One longterm.

I had a look under /var but couldn't find anything relevant to users and
logins.

I need to move (and therefore retain) the local login as the box is used with
/home mounted via nfs.

Any ideas?
L x

$ su #change to root
password:
# cd /home
# mv lynn lynn.old #save old home dir until space is needed
# ln -s /home2/lynn lynn # make /home2/lynn APPEAR to be /home/lynn
# and everything stays the same as if the
# user directory was never changed.
# this is generally the best way to
# move directories.

problem solved