Re: [opensuse] openSuSE does't detect Android cellphone
On 3/27/2012 4:28 AM, Stan Goodman wrote:
I have a new Android cellphone, my first. This is an HTC Aria. I want to e able
to exchange files between this phone and my desktop inux box
--oS v11.4 at the moment.

I expected that the phone would be recognized when connected to a USB
port, just like any other USB device, but it isn't. I assume there is a
way to get openSuSE to detect the phone. Can someone telll me what it
is?

This depends strictly on the phone model.
On many phones, after plugging it into a USB port, you have to make a choice on
the phone
to enable USB storage capabilities.

Failing to do that, usually leaves the phone in charge-only mode.

However, SOME newer phones are only offering MTP protocol on the USB port.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Media_Transfer_Protocol

This is due to some pricing preferences by Microsoft for licensing their
patents I believe,
or perhaps to make it easier for total newbies to sync music. With USB storage
options,
syncing stuff is as simple as drag and drop, but apparently that is confusing
to people
of iTunes origin, and MTP is Microsoft's answer to this. I believe its
licensed for free
to Android handset makers in an attempt to push it mainstream.

With MTP, you need Windows Media Player, or Amarok or some other media
application to
move music and other media back and forth. Its pretty limited, but it does
tend to store
things in the appropriate place on the phone, which drag and drop does not.

So upshot is WATCH the phone's screen as you plug it into Linux, and select
USB storage (name may very). And if that does not work you may have to use
A MTP. Allegedly, according to the web page above, all KDE applications support
MTP via KIO, but I've found this spotty at times.