Re: [opensuse] openSuSE does't detect Android cellphone
  • From: Javier Conti <javier.conti@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2012 18:59:01 +0200
On 27 March 2012 18:48, Javier Conti <javier.conti@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 27 March 2012 14:33, Roger Oberholtzer <roger@xxxxxx> wrote:
On Tue, 2012-03-27 at 13:36 +0200, Karl Sinn wrote:
Am 27.03.2012 13:28, schrieb Stan Goodman:
I have a new Android cellphone, my first. This is an HTC Aria. I want
to e  able to exchange files between this phone and my desktop inux box
--oS v11.4 at the moment.

I expected that the phone would be recognized when connected to a USB
port, just like any other USB device, but it isn't. I assume there is a
way to get openSuSE to detect the phone. Can someone telll me what it
is?

Hi,

I plug my Android phone in the usb-port, then I tell the phone to
activate the mass storage device and it works.

Same here. With openSUSE 12.1, Samsung Galaxy IIS, Android ICS 4.0.3.

When I plug the USB cable in, the phone pops up a dialog asking if I
want to exchange files or access the camera.

I can also confirm that MIT's AndroidInventor works with the same
configuration. I made a silly using AI that ran in the phone as I did my
stuff. And a later generated package installed automatically.

I suspect the Android version in the phone more than the Linux. After
all, if the phone makes itself look like proper generic USB mass
storage, Linux is happy. It is when the phone messes up that things go
kaplooie.

I think most modern Android phones use MTP instead of emulating a
generic storage device. I've seen this at least with HTC Sensation and
Google Nexus.

In my case, nothing happens when I connect the Galaxy Nexus but
issuing MTP commands somewhat detect the device:

#  mtp-detect
libmtp version: 1.1.0

Listing raw device(s)
Device 0 (VID=04e8 and PID=685c) is UNKNOWN.
Please report this VID/PID and the device model to the libmtp development team
  Found 1 device(s):
  04e8:685c @ bus 3, dev 2
Attempting to connect device(s)
USB low-level info:
  Using kernel interface "dummy"
  bcdUSB: 512
  bDeviceClass: 0
  bDeviceSubClass: 0
  bDeviceProtocol: 0
  idVendor: 04e8
  idProduct: 685c
[...]

Or...

# mtp-folders
Attempting to connect device(s)
Device 0 (VID=04e8 and PID=685c) is UNKNOWN.
Please report this VID/PID and the device model to the libmtp development team
mtp-folders: Successfully connected
Friendly name: (NULL)
Storage: Internal Storage
1       Music
2       Podcasts
3       Ringtones
4       Alarms
5       Notifications
6       Pictures
7       Movies
8       Download
9       DCIM
[...]

JMTC, Javier

By the way, I just tried to install libmtp 1.1.2 out of curiosity and the phone
is now recognized, making the operation of the MTP commands much faster.

I just installed the source RPM version from:

http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/devel:/libraries:/c_c++/openSUSE_12.1

Ciao, Javier

What do you see in /var/log/messages when you attach the telephone?

Yours sincerely,

Roger Oberholtzer

OPQ Systems / Ramböll RST

Office: Int +46 10-615 60 20