Re: [opensuse] Magnify text with openSUSE (OT I need an interested developer)
  • From: "Rajko M." <rmatov101@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2012 00:24:46 -0500
On Fri, 23 Mar 2012 23:48:43 -0400
Bob S <911@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

If anyone is interested or curious wou can find details at:

www.hiddenlake.net/Personal/reader.html

If anyone can supply me with mailing lists where the devs hang out, I
would appreciate it immensely.

If I can recommend somewhat different procedure.

For majority of reading you can take picture of the pages and then read
magnified images. It can actually increase comfort as you don't have to
handle camera, text and computer at the same time, like with live video
camera.

Maybe, using digital pocket camera to take page picture and then you
can read images using Gwenview, or some similar application.
They allow magnification and then just can just click to grab image,
move around and read. See [1] for more details.

If you need more amplification you can use some existing screen
magnifier, or you can use magnifier directly, depends on a type of
vision problem.

What do you think about idea?
Is it a problem to take images and then just read?
Is there anything that makes you not comfortable with that method?

Please reply to me privately as I certainly don;t want a long OT
thread to annoy you all.

Asking for developer is kind of off topic, but particular problem is
not. It is not only your problem, so ideas how to solve should be
public, specially when it involves software included in openSUSE.

[1]
Some time ago I used 3 Mpix camera instead of scanner. Image is about
original document size with picture at 50%.

Gwenview allows sizes between 64% and 1600% of original picture. From
200% I can see pixels, which is more aesthetic problem then practical,
as text is readable far beyond 200%. Even if we stop at 200% that is 4
times magnification.

Picture can be moved with mouse in few ways.
1) click and hold left button somewhere in the picture and move mouse.
2) There is field on top left presenting image and smaller presenting
what user can see in the window, click and grab smaller and move around
image.
3) Also there are classic sliding bars.

In Gwenview you can use OpenGL image viewer that seems to be even more
comfortable to use with mouse only.

--
Regards, Rajko