Re: [opensuse] Wrong time zone
Dr. Werner Fink wrote:
On Mon, Mar 26, 2012 at 10:30:50AM -0400, James Knott wrote:
Dr. Werner Fink wrote:
Hmmm ... what is wrong with using TZ or even reconfiguring
/etc/localtime? The problem is that the system clock of
the Linux kernel is in UTC which requires to run mkinitrd
with the domain approach.
My point is that with Linux, you have to adjust the time zone if you
travel the country and want the computer to show local time. With
Windows, it happens automagically. As I pointed out, it's also a
disadvantage if you log into a domain in another time zone. Having
file times in UTC is always an advantage.

You may fill out a feature request for the next openSUSE to be
able to modify the /etc/localtime link accordingly to the
current network domain. That would be a win (IMHO), wouldn't it?

I don't think there's any need for a feature request. I believe DHCP
option 2 sets the time offset from UTC of a client machine. But it's
deprecated; I don't know what the current recommended technique is.