Re: [opensuse] Wrong time zone
On Mon, Mar 26, 2012 at 10:18:22AM -0400, James Knott wrote:
Dave Howorth wrote:
N.B. That's for a computer kept in a single place, though possibly with
users around the world. I don't know what the convention is on a mobile
computer, though (1), (2) and (4) are unchanged.

Windows computers, on a domain, are tied to the local time of the
domain controller. This means if you log into a domain on the other
side of the country, your clock will be wrong. I experienced that at
IBM, where I had access to the various domains across Canada. As I
moved from domain to domain, my computer clock changed time
accordingly. With Linux & UNIX, your clock stays put on whatever
time zone you configured it for. Which method is better, depends on
your needs. If you're a business traveler, who frequents various
corporate locations across the country, you might want your computer
to be on local time. However, at least until recently, Windows file
times were always local time, which means that you'd have to know
which time zone it was created in, to know if it was created before
or after a file from a different time zone.

BTW, I see you're in the UK, where you'd have only one time zone. In
Canada, there are 6 time zones spanning 5.5 hours, across the
country.

Hmmm ... what is wrong with using TZ or even reconfiguring
/etc/localtime? The problem is that the system clock of
the Linux kernel is in UTC which requires to run mkinitrd
with the domain approach.

Werner