Re: [opensuse] Wrong time zone
On Mon, Mar 26, 2012 at 02:20:30PM +0100, Dave Howorth wrote:
Dave Howorth wrote:
Whatever is in the CMOS doesn't affect the kernel's system clock. That
is UTC as Werner said.

This thread's been going long enough that perhaps it's worth restating
the clocks:

(1) hardware/CMOS/BIOS clock - only used at booting. Should normally be
UTC but some versions of Windows required it to be set in the local time
of the administrator.

(2) kernel's internal time - always UTC

(3) system-wide time - should be set to the time zone of the machine
that is running the system

(4) user time - individually set to the local time of each individual
user - defaults to the system time

N.B. That's for a computer kept in a single place, though possibly with
users around the world. I don't know what the convention is on a mobile
computer, though (1), (2) and (4) are unchanged.

Indeed ... please compare with
http://en.opensuse.org/SDB%3AConfiguring_the_clock
I've written with my HOWTO in the lunch hour.

Werner