Re: [opensuse] Is my machine too old for OS 12.1 ?
On Mon, 2012-03-26 at 19:57 +1100, Basil Chupin wrote:
On 26/03/12 18:32, Paul Ollion wrote:
[pruned]
You are right I entirely agreed with Basil's opinion about Nouveau
when I experienced all the troubles it caused ; but I had the most
comfortable, fastest and flawless install of OS 12.1 on a recent
machine on which Nouveau works so perfectly that I had not even
noticed I was using it.
If this noovoo driver works so pefectly why then have I had to use
"nomodeset" when installing Milestone #1 and #2,

(a) Milestones aren't releases, so they don't count towards anything.

(b) You were using specific hardware.

Don't abstract (b) to apply to all cases. This was your experience on
the specific video chipset that you have. No one here stated that
nouveau worked perfectly on all hardware - just that it does on some
[and thus does *not* on other hardware].

and then when booting
into the install, otherwise I got nowhere with the install and then the
first boot? In fact, I had to add "nomodeset" in menu.lst so as to be
able to login without going thru hoops to do so (until I installed the
proper nVidia driver)? And my video card is not something bought at an
antique shop: it is a Geforce 7600 GT card and uses the latest nVidia
295.33 driver.