Re: [opensuse] Re: how to change users home directory
Carlos E. R. said the following on 03/26/2012 06:35 AM:

On 2012-03-26 11:51, jdd wrote:
Le 26/03/2012 11:00, lynn a écrit :

you can't have *two* homes at the same time, so I don't really understand
what you try to do.

Two set of users. One set has a remote /home, other set has a local /home2.
This is perfectly feasible, the system should be happy about it.

Quite so!
In the case of 'roving logins' where a centrally managed account system
(YP or LDAP) allows users to log in at any workstation and have their
"home" NFS mounted - the system that, as I mentioned, SUN was running
from the 1980s onwards - there was also a local admin ("?root?") account.

So how was a global root login supported?
See /etc/nsswitch

Nothing new here, just a lot of detail to get right.
Once its 'right' its 'obvious'.

But you *have* to be clear about objectives and sequence.

--
Wherever you see a successful business, someone once made a courageous
decision.