Re: [opensuse] Is it possible to do a Kernel downgrade on OpenSUSE 12.1?
Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Carlos Xavier wrote:

[snip]
So i want to downgrade the kernel version to 2.6 because I dont see
this kind of issue on it. Is it possible to achieve? If so how can I
do that?

Simply install the kernel you want.

11.4 will go out of support in august I think, so using it's kernel can only be
a band aid.

Using a 3.0.0 kernel is your best choice imho. Check out the -project mailing
list archives for the last few days. I think that is where I saw it.

Anyway, someone has built a 3.0.x opensuse kernel for 11.4 evergreen use. It
is just now starting to be tested, but I believe the goal is to support that
specific kernel for at least 2 years from jan 2012, so I would highly recommend
you consider it for your downgrade, and if there are bugs you can file them and
devs will actually care about 3.0.

Fyi: greg-kh has committed to supporting the 3.0 kernel for 2 years at the
kernel.org site. Then the evergreen project is planning to keep a opensuse
patched version available for an extended time as well.

I assume enterprise distros like sles and redhat will use 3.0.x for their long
term support kernel.

Greg