Re: [opensuse] Re: virtualbox won't open
On 03/22/2012 09:11 PM, Robert Benjamin wrote:

On 03/22/2012 04:01 PM, Robert Benjamin wrote:

On 03/22/2012 03:38 PM, lynn wrote:
On 22/03/12 19:17, Robert Benjamin wrote:

On 03/22/2012 01:58 PM, Eberhard Roloff wrote:
On 03/22/2012 06:39 PM, Robert Benjamin wrote:

Things didn't go well. Too many errors for a newbie to
understand. It say to run /etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup did that
and now it says it wants dkms and extensions and I msut be a
member of a user group .So one thing at a time and maybe I
can get this working. I put windows as the OS and win 7 64
bit as the version in a box for guest, I think. Well, I am
confused but will not quit. Please continue your great help
from all of you. Thanks so much to all those who are helping
and are so patient. As of now, VBox won't open. Just get one
of several errors - usually the one about the driver in
/etc/init ....... Thanks. Bob

I went through the same issues when I tried to install the newest
virtual box on my suse 12.1.
So when you run
/etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup
(as root or with sudo on (x/k/)ubuntu), what exactly do you get?

most probably,
I then would use your software install tool to install
dkms and
kernel sources
and all of the dependencies that will automatically come up.

Then you might run /etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup
once again and let us know, what you get as a response.

Do not worry, this will run okay for you, very soon.

regards
Eberhard

Here's what I get as root with /etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup

Stopping VirtualBox kernel
modules done
Uninstalling old VirtualBox DKMS kernel
modules done
Trying to register the VirtualBox kernel modules using
DKMS failed
(Failed, trying without DKMS)
Recompiling VirtualBox kernel
modules failed
(Look at /var/log/vbox-install.log to find out what went wrong
What does all this mean. Hope I didn't mess things up too
seriously. Tks again

Hi
It means it can't compile the kernel modules. You need to install
kernel-devel, make and gcc.
HTH
L x

At this point the icon for virtual box won't even open at all.
And I'm not sure how to install what you have above . Guess I use
add/remove software. Thanks. Read the how to and will try the things
there tomorrow Thanks for the help again. Bob

Just went to the link you had in the how to and can't find an .iso
there. Not sure which version to get so I'll wait til tomorrow and see
what you suggest. This will work, right? :-) Bob
Hi Bob

what distro are you running.

Jide
<http://r1.wisestamp.com/r/landing?promo=22&dest=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.wisestamp.com%2Femail-install%3Futm_source%3Dextension%26utm_medium%3Demail%26utm_campaign%3Dpromo_22>