Re: [opensuse] virtualbox won't open
On 03/21/2012 06:30 PM, Robert Benjamin wrote:

On 3/21/2012 9:20 AM, Mark Misulich wrote:
On Wed, 2012-03-21 at 12:56 -0400, Robert Benjamin wrote:
On 3/21/2012 8:35 AM, Jide Ogunmekan wrote:
On 03/21/2012 05:24 PM, Robert Benjamin wrote:
On 3/21/2012 7:35 AM, C wrote:
On Wed, Mar 21, 2012 at 12:04, Robert
Benjamin<benjie1@xxxxxxx> wrote:
Dan, I have read a good part of the manual and did learn
things
from it
but it is a bit confusing in parts.Will read it over again before
starting
the manager. The confusing part for me is about the extensions, USB
support,
and whether to choose a fixed or dynamically enlarged disc. Will
read stuff
again and then try. Will let you know and thanks again.
Bob
If you want to simply things.... do this (assuming you have
installed
VirtualBox 4.1.10):

- Install the VirtualBox 4.1.10 Oracle VM VirtualBox
Extension Pack
from here: https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads So,
download the
extension pack, then start VirtualBox, click on File>
Preferences>
Extensions. On the right hand side of the window is a blue diamond
with an orange triangle.. click on it and select the extension pack
you downloaded. This will install the extensions.

- Don't stress about USB support.. it's taken care of by the
extension pack

- The difference between fixed and dynamic disks is... If you choose
fixed, then then entire virtual disk you define is reserved on your
host hard drive. If you choose dynamic, then the virtual disk you
define will slowly grow up to but not over the size you define.
So...
fixed 8GB disk will be an 8GB file on your hard drive. An 8GB
dynamic
disk might only be a 2GB file after installing your guest OS, but it
can grow up to 8GB. Does that make sense?

Defining a new Virtual Machine is easy. Just follow the wizard, and
for your first trials, you are safe to accept the defaults it
presents. The only tweaks I ever suggest is adjusting how much RAM
you give your virtual machine (I recommend never more than 50% of
your
Host RAM), and adjusting the Display settings (eg maxing out the
video
memory, and enabling 3D acceleration and if you have Windows, 2D
acceleration).

After you install, you definitely want to install teh Guest
Additions
in the guest OS as Dennis G mentioned

I hope these tips help... and like the others said.. read the
manual..
it's well written, and quite helpful. Also, don't be afraid to ask
for help if you get stuck. the first virtual machine you create is
the most intimidating, but after that it just gets easier :-) and
you'll wonder how you managed without a tool like VirtulaBox.

C.
Thanks guys. I may have goofed here. OpenSuse is on a HD by
itself
(320 GB). I want win 7 as a guest, but it came installed on a 500GB
HD. My HDs are removable, so when openSuse is in the PC it is the
only
HD in the case. So how can I get win 7 as a guest. I don't have a win
CD or DVD. Just the disc that comes with PCs. Don't know how the
openSuse host will see win 7 since it isn't in the PC. At this point,
I just wanted to run a few win programs. Can I still do this? Thanks
again Dennis and C.

Bob
Hi Bob,

Seems your computer has two hard disks from what you say. Your PC
should
have the windows 7 disks somewhere on the windows disk or a utility
that
enables you create a windows 7 rescue or install disk or something of
the like. Once you have done this, you should have your windows 7 disk
handy. To run windows 7 as a guest, you need to boot your machine
into
openSuSE and install the virtualbox VM software. Then you need to
create
a new virtual machine to accommodate in windows 7 and commence
installation via the disk you created earlier. Hope this helps

Jide Ogunmekan
*Executive Director*
General Data Engineering Services PLC
16, Oshin Street, Kongi
Bodija, Ibadan
Oyo State
Tel: 0700-SKANNET
Mobile: 08023130954, 08086132375

Contact Me LinkedIn<http://[> Facebook<http://[> Flickr<http://[>
Twitter<http://[>
Chat Google Talk [""] Skype [""] MSN [""]
Want a signature like mine?
<http://r1.wisestamp.com/r/landing?promo=22&dest=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.wisestamp.com%2Femail-install%3Futm_source%3Dextension%26utm_medium%3Demail%26utm_campaign%3Dpromo_22>

Click here.
<http://r1.wisestamp.com/r/landing?promo=22&dest=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.wisestamp.com%2Femail-install%3Futm_source%3Dextension%26utm_medium%3Demail%26utm_campaign%3Dpromo_22>

There is only one HD in the PC. My son-in law modified the
case so
that I can insert a HD into a tray, slide it in the PC and boot up with
that HD with whatever OS is on it. So when openSuse is in the PC
that is
the only OS the PC "sees". I don't have a windows install disc, just
the
data disc that I made from Dell's data safe program when I got the PC.
Will this data safe disc be OK? Hope so. That's all I
have. Bob
Hi,
are you able to install both hard drives in the computer at the same
time? The easiest way to get both operating systems going would be to
have both hard drives installed in the computer and let the grub
bootloader decide which operating system on which disk you want to
activate when starting up the computer.

If you can reply to this question first before I give the details of how
to do it, then it might save some time and we can procede from there.

Unfortunately no, I can only have one HD in the PC at a time.

So you have only one disk in the PC and another one which you remove and
put in a tray when you want to run opensuse is that correct?