Re: [opensuse] ATI GPU support, how is it now?
  • From: C <smaug42@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2012 07:45:15 +0100
Most of the machines I look at and like have ATI/AMD, has the Linux
support improved?

What is your definition of Linux support? What are you planning to do
wit the computer that has the ATI card?

Generally speaking, the open source drivers for ATI are good. The
binary blob drivers are OK too.

The number one gotcha that I always see is with people who want to
play games in Wine or Crossover.... there, it's a whole world of pain.

If you are just planning on regular desktop use, then the video card
you go with is much less of an issue. I use openSUSE on machines with
nVidia, ATI and Intel video, and it's fine on all 3.... for regular
desktop stuff.

C.