Re: [opensuse] Install help for Network driver
On Wednesday, March 14, 2012 03:27:02 PM Ralph DeWitt wrote:
Hi all:
I am running opensuse 12.1 updated to KDE 4.8. This was a new install
and still vanilla with no extra repositories outside of KDE 4.8 ones.
Recently I installed a new wireless network card, a PCI Exprss Gigibit
Ethernet Controller with a RTL 8111/8168B controller. My problem is that
after Googleing for Driver Install How To, I have come up with nothing
helpful. Could some one help me to install the proper driver. Thanks in
advance.

Ralph

Hi, Ralph.

As you mentioned "Recently I installed a new wireless network card, a PCI
Exprss Gigibit Ethernet Controller with a RTL 8111/8168B controller" is not
possible to show a wireless because this is not a wireless Network Adapter
Card. Unless you have a Wireless Adapter Card with the proper driver installed
it will not show anything on Network Manager Applet.. If you write on terminal

/sbin/lspci -nnk

or

su -
(it will ask root password) and then

lspci -nnk

it will show you (anong other devices) what kind of Network Adapter Card and
Controller your machine has installed.

Any way I will assume you are making reference to Network Manager Applet is
not showing your Network options (Wired, Wireless, Broadband, etc.). It seems
PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller (RTL 8111/8168B) works despite is not
showed into the Network Manager Applet (if your machine receive an IP address
automatically by DHCP). In case you need to assign IP fixed or static you will
need to go via YaST.

Please elaborate where is the core of your concern.

Regards,

--
Ricardo Chung | Panama
openSUSE Linux Ambassador

openSUSE 11.4 | KDE 4.7 | Mesa-Nouveau 3D
Linux for Education