Re: [opensuse] Launchpad and communication with developers
  • From: "Rajko M." <rmatov101@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2012 00:30:51 -0500
On Fri, 16 Mar 2012 13:00:03 +1100
Basil Chupin <blchupin@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

If you are referring to Launchpad, used in K/Ubuntu, then I totally
agree. A most useful source of information for those users.

To all:

It would be nice, in order to address Lars question in a rounded
discusson, to open new thread, possibly on opensuse-project@xxxxxxxxxxxx
mail list. It is a good place to discuss project related issues (and
infrastructure is one). We can compare Launchpad vs. comparable services
that provides openSUSE.

Probably it would be even better to make use of openSUSE Wiki at
http://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Infrastructure_improvements (it is
empty now), list features of Launchpad and compare them to our
infrastructure. Let people fix article and after some time, say 7
days, close that and open discussion on a project mail list. In a few
rounds of described process we should have clear idea what has to be
improved and in which order, fill http://features.opensuse.org with
descriptions and then go and look for developers that can do that.
They can be SUSE employees, but also just about anybody looking for
something to do, like students participating in GSoC.

http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/org/google/gsoc2012/opensuse
is good place to add tasks that can be done by one student participant
in a allotted time. In other words those that look for developers, at
GSoC will be plethora of candidates, all young, restless and qualified.

For those complaining about sending to another mail list, I must
remind present that opensuse@xxxxxxxxxxxx is generic list where
discussion can be started if user has no idea where it belongs, but
then it should be moved if there is a better place.

Also, don't forget to reference here mail list archive URL of opening article
in another mail list and there for instance this thread, that was moved,
so that people can actually follow discussion. This little convenience
is your contribution to better communication, without single developer
hour needed, so without excuse why is not implemented.

PS.
There can be proposed improvements to mail list traffic and
corresponding archives, but I'll give other readers time to discover
what are the problems and propose improvements.

--
Regards, Rajko