Re: [opensuse] NFS security
[16.03.2012 14:57] [Carlos E. R.]:
On 2012-03-16 13:53, Werner Flamme wrote:
[16.03.2012 12:20] [Carlos E. R.]:

You do not set up a password per share.

You set up Kerberos. NFS is able to use Kerberos then. So the user
authenticates against Kerberos, not against NFS.

Do you know of a howto or easy to follow documentation on this?

There are bazillions of HOWTO setup Kerberos. I think
<http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Kerberos-Infrastructure-HOWTO/> is quite old, but
still OK, since there were not too many changes ;-)

And for using NFS4 with and without Kerberos, you might look at
<https://help.ubuntu.com/community/NFSv4Howto>. Ubuntu tends to long,
descriptive texts because of the experience the users already have ;-)
So, the package name may differ, but the rest of the article is OK.

You can even use a search engine (google.com, alltheweb.com, ...) and
search for "howto kerberos nfs4 opensuse" and you might find something
like
<http://www.novell.com/communities/node/3787/configuring-nfsv4-server-and-client-suse-linux-enterprise-server-10>
:-) A bit more up to date is
<http://www.linuxtopia.org/online_books/opensuse_guides/opensuse11.1_reference_guide/sec_nfs_kerberos.html>,
but they propose merely the same ;-)

And to "easy to follow": I read one page (in german, iirc) and did as
the author described, it worked fine after I adapted everything to my
environment. So I guess you can take about any howto ;-)

Regards,
Werner