Re: [opensuse] Install help for Network driver
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2012 09:49:53 +0100
Mark Misulich wrote:

On Thu, 2012-03-15 at 09:39 -0400, Ralph DeWitt wrote:
On Thursday, March 15, 2012 11:50:16 AM Per Jessen wrote:
Ralph DeWitt wrote:
Hi all:
I am running opensuse 12.1 updated to KDE 4.8. This was a new
install
and still vanilla with no extra repositories outside of KDE 4.8
ones. Recently I installed a new wireless network card, a PCI
Exprss Gigibit Ethernet Controller with a RTL 8111/8168B
controller. My problem is that after Googleing for Driver Install
How To, I have come up with nothing helpful. Could some one help
me to install the proper driver.

It sounds like a fairly standard wireless card, the driver is
probably
already installed. Why do you think you need to install it?
Per:
The reason I believe that I need to install the driver is that the
wireless option does not appear in the network manager widget.

Is it possible that wireless is not enabled in Network Manager? When
you left click on the network manager icon, look in the dialog box
that pops up, then look on the left side at interfaces and see if on
the bottom if "Enable wireless" is checked.

Mark, judging by the PCI listing Ralph posted, this is a copper gigabit
interface, not wirelesss at all.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (10.6°C)