Re: [opensuse] Install help for Network driver
  • From: Martin Seidler <pistazienfresser@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2012 20:31:55 +0100
Hello Ralph,

Am 14.03.2012 20:27, schrieb Ralph DeWitt:
Hi all:
I am running opensuse 12.1 updated to KDE 4.8. This was a new install
and still vanilla with no extra repositories outside of KDE 4.8 ones.
Recently I installed a new wireless network card, a PCI Exprss Gigibit
Ethernet Controller with a RTL 8111/8168B controller. My problem is that
after Googleing for Driver Install How To, I have come up with nothing
helpful. Could some one help me to install the proper driver. Thanks in
advance.

Ralph
a Gigibit *wireless* card would be very cool
but I think you mean a 'normal' LAN with a cable/wire?

If so: Normally the driver should already in the kernel and so in openSUSE 12.1.
But there have been some troubles at least with older kernels (I think the fault was already in the kernel sources), compare for openSUSE 11.4:
http://forums.opensuse.org/deutsch-german/hilfe-und-helfen/netzwerk/473306-opensuse-11-4-x86_64-realtek-onboard-nic-schafft-keinen-link-nach-dem-booten.html (German language but with links for other distributions in English)

with a

"r8168B" or "Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller [10ec:8168] "

So you should take a look at what you have (software and hardware):

Could you please open a console/terminal
and enter (or paste with your mouse)

/sbin/lspci -nnk

press [Enter] and post the output here in the mailing list
to be sure about your hardware especially your card?

And the same for the output of

lsmod | grep r816*

(if and what fitting/not quite fitting kernel module might be loaded)
and

uname -a

(for your used kernel) ?

There might be some help available on the horizion without having to compile a driver/kernel module for your card by yourself....

http://software.opensuse.org/search?q=r8168&baseproject=openSUSE%3A12.1&lang=en

(to be continued with the search for the fitting kernel module for your kernel version number and kernel flavor...;)

Ciao
Martin

--
openSUSE profile: https://users.opensuse.org/show/pistazienfresser