Re: [opensuse] Samba allow guest access
On Thu, Mar 15, 2012 at 02:40:59PM -0400, Adam Tauno Williams wrote:
On Thu, 2012-03-15 at 14:15 +0100, Lars Müller wrote:
I am still pretty confused smb.conf but no password
is required.

Confused about what specifically?

"map to guest = Bad Password" means that any failed authentication
attempt just gets connected as the guest user. "guest ok = yes" for the
share means that the guest user has access to the share.

The assumption is that :
(a) "guest account = somebody" where "somebody" is a valid account.
(b) the underlying filesystem permissions allow "somebody" access to the
folder indicated by "path" in the share definition.

Bah, all files from /usr/share/samba/templates/ are empty. Bad. Else
it wouild be easy to get a diff.

Eh?

The intention was to place separate viewes - named section in ini speach
- of the default configuration into single files.

And it looks like this is broken or even unused. If IIRC we created
these snippets for YaST to allow the reset of an individual section to
it's defaults. I have to check back with the YaST guys.

"guest ok = Yes" for each share pretty much took care of the only
issue that was stopping it from just working. I had already properly
configured the other two changes needed in smb.conf.
Well, it's very polite to keep these other two secret issues for you. ;)
Look, others migth later run into the same trouble, find this thread and
are faced by issues as well. But the lame dudes of the openSUSE lists
kept this secret well hidden. Come on, make the others and all of us
happy too!

I assume those other two changes where the two entries required in
[globals]. A working config is -

[global]
security = user

This is the Samba upstream default.

map to guest = Bad Password

This is the default we set in /etc/samba/smb.conf installed with the
samba-client package.

Therefore no further changes than 'guest ok = yes' as part of the share
definition are required. I've tested it and that's even proofen by the
3.6.3 code.

I also don't see commits to master which might have changed this.

IIRC Jiri added a simple tick to allow guest access to a share in the
YaST module.

- taken directly from the link previously posted to the project
documentation.
<https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Frequently_Asked_Questions#guest_access>

Yes. IIRC one quoted this URL earlier in this thread too. Then it must
be correct. ;)