Re: [opensuse] Software Manager (YaST2) - a question about its behaviour
On Thu, Mar 15, 2012 at 07:22:57PM +0100, LLLActive@xxxxxxx wrote:
C wrote:

I'm not asking for a change now.. just trying to point out that in
some of what we do here in the project we forget the end user...
+1.
exactly !!

Wouldn't it be nice with an option on the first YaST window:

Please indicate user experience level

Good indicator, the user decides what (s)he wants! The technical
issue besides the point for now; it is the attitude that is
reflected. Mature software presents a non-patronizing manner to the
user by allowing choices, and informing by good help functions about
them. Having done some technical writing and training material, it
was noticed that such efforts by users willing to help with such
uninteresting things like documentation and help systems are scared
off by these same engineers that know how it all works and loathe
the ignorance of these 'common' users. In stead of working together,
this attitude destroys great products like openSUSE in the long run.
No wonder many drift back to the brain dead M$ approach out of
frustration about such infantile attitudes. Pity. Sigh.

Ok, what's the conclusion?

Something is broken from the view of several of us.

What are we doing?

Discuss it as long as possible till one finally gets annoyed to work
on it?

This habit I would call an infantile attitude. Try to step back a bit
and then consider where to spent your time on.

Please compare the issue discussed here to the noise generated on list
and the input given to address it at via https://features.openSUSE.org/

Till now none of you who puts this amount of energy into this thread had
been powerful, smart, or solution driven enough to file a feature
request. Instead you expect others to drive something you like to get
changed.

It's even impossible to all of you to quote the URL to the former
discussions on this topic. But this is valid information and are pieces
of the argumentation needed to convice and win others.

The issue is for some use cases easy to address. See my earlier mail on
this as part of this thread.¹ At least it is very easy to fix if the
system gets installed by a user with some experience.

Has anyone of those complaining loudly about this issue checked and
enhanced the documentation available from http://en.openSUSE.org/ ?

If all of you believe the endusers point of view is getting lost feed
https://features.openSUSE.org/ with a new request. Quote the feature ID
here and allow all of us to vote.

If your argumentation is brilliant, maybe even if it only is good then
you might even get my positive vote.

Thanks,

Lars

¹ http://lists.openSUSE.org/opensuse/2012-03/msg00747.html