Re: [opensuse] Install help for Network driver
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2012 15:07:34 +0100
Ralph DeWitt wrote:

On Thursday, March 15, 2012 11:50:16 AM Per Jessen wrote:
Ralph DeWitt wrote:
Hi all:
I am running opensuse 12.1 updated to KDE 4.8. This was a new
install and still vanilla with no extra repositories outside of KDE
4.8
ones. Recently I installed a new wireless network card, a PCI
Exprss Gigibit Ethernet Controller with a RTL 8111/8168B
controller. My problem is that after Googleing for Driver Install
How To, I have come up with nothing helpful. Could some one help me
to install the proper driver.

It sounds like a fairly standard wireless card, the driver is
probably
already installed. Why do you think you need to install it?

Per:
The reason I believe that I need to install the driver is that the
wireless option does not appear in the network manager widget.

I don't know much about the Network Manager, I guess it might
automagically know how configure it. The kernel really ought to have
the right module (RTL 8111/8168B is not a new chip), but if you do need
to install a new module, the procedure is basically:

1) retrieve source code (from Realtek I presume?)
2) build module
3) install module

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (15.1°C)