Re: [opensuse] SAMBA.
  • From: Steven Hess <flamebait@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2012 02:49:05 -0700
To me it is a problem.

NFS works without password. I don't want passwords. I am not sharing
this stuff on the Internet but on private network of personally owned
computers. Windows 7 Pro does not have the ability to do NFS.
I want to share my files to a WIndows 7 computer. I have to use SAMBA.
I can't make it share files.

I am not finding getting information on what to do easy or executing
the actually doing things that allows me to share my files to that
Windows 7 machine easy. Nothing has worked so far I keep getting
prompted for a password that does not exist. In /etc/samba/smb.conf it
say a commented file exist in
/usr/share/doc/packages/samba/examples/smb.conf I am looking there now
and I see no place to turn off username/ password.
In YAST configuration for SAMBA I see no place to turn off username /
password. In SWAT I see no place to turn off username / password. Even
on the local machine if I try and browse SMB I am prompted for a
username / password. So far nothing has worked. All I have gotten
frustrated and was ridiculed in a IRC channel because I can't make it
work.

Like I said I checked the Wiki and the articles and openSUSE.org and
didn't see anything relevant. You shouldn't need a book to make it
work.You shouldn't need to be an IT pro or even an advanced hobbyist.
Stuff should 'just work' as much as possible.

Steven