Re: [opensuse] Samba allow guest access (was:SAMBA.)
On Wed, Mar 14, 2012 at 09:23:21PM -0700, Steven Hess wrote:
I am trying to allow a Windows 7 machine to access files on my main
computer. Under Linux I just use NFS and all Linux boxes can see all
network shares if they have an IP address to start with. No username
and password monkey business. With SAMBA this seems impossible. The
Windows machine user is presented with demand for a username and
password that have never been created. The SAMBA shared directories
are visible from the Windows 7 client but just un-accessible. Is it
not possible to not require a user name and password combination? This
is on openSUSE 12.1. There is nothing I can find on the openSUSE Wiki
and I see no SAMBA articles when I look for articles at the openSUSE
site.

NFS just works SAMBA is non functional.

man smb.conf
guest ok (S)

If this parameter is yes for a service, then no password is
required to connect to the service. Privileges will be those of the
guest account.

See also ... Come on, you're able to read a man pag at your own. :)

Also the Samba wiki mention this option. See
https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Frequently_Asked_Questions#guest_access

The stuff I am seeing when I google is just confusing nonsense that
isn't openSUSE specific.

Confusion is something we implemented with highest priority!

How else can you get a solid and reliable workplace till retirement
these days? ;)

Lars
--
Lars Müller [ˈlaː(r)z ˈmʏlɐ]