Re: [opensuse] Dual boot ubuntu & opensuse
On Wed, 2012-03-14 at 18:05 -0400, Jonathan Dlouhy wrote:
On Wed, 2012-03-14 at 22:58 +0100, Hans Witvliet wrote:
On Wed, 2012-03-14 at 15:31 +0100, Michael Schueller wrote:
Am Mittwoch, 14. März 2012 schrieb Koenraad Lelong:
Hi,

After reading the threads about grub, I was wondering how I have to
install opensuse on my ubuntu laptop. There is a partition free, but
how about grub ?
What information do I need to be able to make an entry in suse's
menu.lst ? Or can opensuse's installer manage this by itself ?
Then again, do I need to modify my ubuntu to tell it's no longer in
control of grub ?

TIA

Koenraad Lelong

Hello Konrad

The Problem is, that opensuse use grub1 and ubuntu grub2.
This cause that ubuntu will find opensuse as a bootable system, but
opensuse can not handle ubuntu.
But if you want opensuse to manage the systems on your computer, then
you can setup ubuntu manually.

If i understood correctly, 12.1 _does_ have grub2, but uses by default
grub1.

So i'm not sure if that means that after installation, you can switch
towards grub2. Or if you can decide during the info-gathering just
before installation, that you **might** be able to tell the installer to
use grub2 instead of grub1, and use grub2 straight away.

If i had some idle hw, i might have tested that, be all is in use..;-(

hw

Have a look here;
http://forums.opensuse.org/english/get-technical-help-here/how-faq-forums/advanced-how-faq-read-only/456779-multiboot-ubuntu-debian-mint-similar-grub-opensuse.html

It's dead simple to edit menu.lst, this explains how to add the entries
you need.

Jon

Except for one detail.

The date of that article is: "26-Mar-2011, 15:32"
At that time, afaicr, Ubuntu was still using grub1, after that they
changed to grub2.
The fact that suse's grub1 does not recognize the stuf from grub2
(U11.04, U11.10, fedora16) is causing the problems

As soon as we change also to grub2, this problem will be something of
the past.

Hans