Re: [opensuse] Dual boot ubuntu & opensuse
On Wednesday, March 14, 2012 10:39 AM Graham Anderson wrote:
On Wednesday 14 Mar 2012 13:18:11 Koenraad Lelong wrote:
Hi,

After reading the threads about grub, I was wondering how I have to
install opensuse on my ubuntu laptop. There is a partition free, but how
about grub ?
What information do I need to be able to make an entry in suse's
menu.lst ? Or can opensuse's installer manage this by itself ?
Then again, do I need to modify my ubuntu to tell it's no longer in
control of grub ?

openSUSE 12.1 uses Grub 0.97, so it can't automatically detect Grub2
installations (such as ubuntu). In your situation I would tell the openSUSE
installer not to add a bootloader and then modify Grub2 from ubuntu and add
the openSUSE install as a boot menu choice.

The second option is to install Grub1 with openSUSE and manually add Ubuntu
back into the boot choices.

If it was me i would do it the first way, but either way works.

To add a bit to this . . .

First, you need to decide which OS you want to control the process. Since
Ubuntu uses grub2, it probably is easier to use it.

Second, learn a bit about chainloading. This is simply having one boot
manager program transfer control to another. This is done by installing the
boot loader in the OS's partition boot sector. So, if you choose to use
Ubuntu for control, install openSUSE's grub1 to the boot sector of its root
partition.

Third, add a chainloader stanza to Ubuntu for booting opensuse. I'm not
familiar with grub2 syntax, so I can't say exactly how but it's probably easy
to find. Ubuntu's grub1 upgdate-grub usually would find another boot loader;
it may still do so with grub2.

If you want to use openSUSE to control booting Ubuntu, you can bypass the boot
sector chainload to Ubuntu and directly call its boot manager program
(core.img). Michael's prev post shows the syntax to add to menu.lst to do
that. But this will require that you have openSUSE's grub1 take control of
booting the machine, which is to say, either installing grub1 to the MBR or
installing generic code to the MBR and grub1 to the openSUSE root partition
boot sector - unless it is a logical, in which case you would install grub1 to
the extended primary pointing to the logical. As you can see, it is probably
easier to use Ubuntu to control the boot since it already controls the
machine.