Re: [opensuse] Dual boot ubuntu & opensuse
On Wednesday, 14 March 2012 08:56 Billie Walsh wrote:
On 03/14/2012 07:18 AM, Koenraad Lelong wrote:
Hi,

After reading the threads about grub, I was wondering how I have to
install opensuse on my ubuntu laptop. There is a partition free, but how
about grub ?
What information do I need to be able to make an entry in suse's
menu.lst ? Or can opensuse's installer manage this by itself ?
Then again, do I need to modify my ubuntu to tell it's no longer in
control of grub ?

TIA

Koenraad Lelong

From my recent experience installing opensuse on my Kubuntu desktop
opensuse will not find the Ubuntu partition and set it up in grub for
whatever reason. I had to set up Grub with Kubuntu to get all the
operating systems recognized and booting properly. Kubuntu will set up
opensuse but not the other way round.

I just installed Slackware 13.37 in my second hdd, which is /dev/sdb. After
installing it, I went and booted back into opensuse and went into YaST and it
found everything and was very easy to setup so that I could choose which distro
to boot into, so I guess I have to disagree that opensuse won't see other
OS's/distro's...at least for *me* it worked just fine.