Re: [opensuse] FYI: Howto disable tracker
  • From: "Rajko M." <rmatov101@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2012 23:06:03 -0500
On Tue, 13 Mar 2012 21:39:40 -0400
Larry Stotler <larrystotler@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Tue, Mar 13, 2012 at 11:47 AM, Lars Müller <lmuelle@xxxxxxx> wrote:
As others have written: disable the indexing 'feature'.  I don't
get why it is enabled by default.  But I'm not a GUI developer.

Because everyone "needs" a desktop search tool.

Actually the only those that "use" desktop "need" desktop search, all
other need it (without quotes). Quantity of information that users
handle today is huge and manual indexing overhead is not something that
users have to take as normal. What for we have computer, if it will not
help with indexing and search.

That's why when I
work on a windows machine I have to disable/remove Windows Search,
Google Desktop, Roxio's search, Nero's search, etc, before the machine
is usable. My customers are like, WOW! It's fast now...... When I
tell them I removed it, they are like, "yeah, I never used it."

I have no customers, but only friends, that installed all possible
searches, desktop searches and internet browser bars as "free" add-on
to some software they are interested in. They are equally surprised
when such tools are reduced to one.

Browsing is all of the sudden fast, when N+1 competing applications do
not check web page that user wants to see and contact their homes over
the Internet for add-on content. It is also pretty sure that main
purpose of such applications is not desktop search and help to user,
otherwise they will not stack one over the other, as they do, and slow
down browsing.

Comparing above with single desktop search, that doesn't have other home
then your computer and no other purpose then to help you find
information, is mixing apples and oranges.

We had this issue with that useless "beagle" years ago & it hasn't had
a stable release in over 3 years.

Beagle's developers were C# skilled, which means not many and not with
deep knowledge of Linux, which was demonstrated in few bugs.
In attempt to create universal desktop search they did not take care to
integrate Beagle in any particular desktop. It was strange application
to any of them.

I can't imagine that more than 5% of users every even use a desktop
search tool much less find it useful on a regular basis. But heaven
forbid it not be included.

Desktop search this days, unlike Beagle times, is used without
explicitly calling some search application. It is embedded in Main
Menu Search, application starter (Alt+F2), and also in process of file
metadata indexing and presentation in file managers and other
applications. So, you can't say it is not used, but you are right that
no more than 5% will be able to say they use desktop search if not
asked for each specific desktop function where indexing and search are
involved.

Of course, all those that will follow on removing desktop search
unconditionally will be able to say they don't use it, but that will be
on their expense. They will have to remember where are all those files
they acquired trough the time, and they will have to use explicitly
applications to see, for instance, image or music file metadata.

Also, I'm not happy with bugs, or with settings that are repeating the
worst of Beagle's, like full throttle indexing that could be completely
irrelevant for activity that I perform at the same moment, but for that
I don't recommend each and every user to remove desktop search. It is
past time that was sound advice.

--
Regards, Rajko