Re: [opensuse] Re: Radeon HD 6450
  • From: ianseeks <ianseeks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2012 08:22:27 +0000
On Monday 12 Mar 2012 22:12:42 Michael Fischer wrote:
On Mon, Mar 12, ianseeks wrote:
I tried running 12.1 on my old laptop with a Radeon card but it never
loaded to a graphics login, it always bombed out to a text login. My
card is old so i'm not sure if its an issue with Radeon cards or old
drivers being dropped.

It all works fine on 11.4

I've given up until 12.2 to see if that works any better.

Proprietary driver works fine for me now (bummer in some ways, but it works)

# zypper ar -f http://geeko.ioda.net/mirror/ati/openSUSE_12.1/ fglrx
# zypper in fglrx64_xpic_SUSE121
# atinconfig --initial
# shutdown -r now

takes a while to download, but the above got me going fine.
You'll probably need 'nomodeset' on the kernel line when
booting in to do the above. After that, you don't need it.

Michael
I'll give that a try, thanks.