[opensuse] [A SOLUTION] 12.1 sound problems

Seems like lots of people are having these issues. Posting this
in case it helps others.

My variant is:

1) Test sound in yast2 works fine
2) Originally, sound in vlc was fine
3) flash in suse's chrome (64bit flashplayer) and 32bit firefox
(downloaded, same for the libflashplayer.so) both fail
4) Now sound fails in aplay/cvlc/vlc/flash
5) find the following url:

http://forums.opensuse.org/english/get-technical-help-here/multimedia/468201-hda-intel-no-sound-system-opensuse-12-1-a.html

and follow the steps to .. pulseaudio -k, edit /etc/sysconfig/sound
and service alsasound restart

6) Now I have sound in aplay/cvlc/vlc... and flash - and simultaneously
if I so choose.

Other than the above, and my pains with the graphics card (nomodeset, etc.)
I rather like 12.1 - quite snappy desktop experience, good software updates.

Michael
--
Michael Fischer
michael@xxxxxxxx