Re: [opensuse] Unusual traffic through eth0
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2012 07:56:02 +0100
Carlos E. R. wrote:

On 2012-03-12 13:36, Bob Williams wrote:
On 12/03/12 11:33, Per Jessen wrote:

Maybe gkrellm is reporting on traffic before the firewall drops it.

Maybe

On another computer on a computer room with a hub, I sometimes see
high traffic in gkrelm, hundreds of kilobytes per second, while my
computer is doing nothing. Looking with iptraf, I see that the traffic
is from internet to another computer of the lan, a download.

I don't know if perhaps the port is set to promiscuous mode, but the
firewall is up on my lan side. It is curious.

Check /var/log/messages to see if a device was placed in promiscuous
mode. When you see traffic not destined for the device you're looking
at, it is in promiscuous mode.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (3.9°C)