  • From: "Rajko M." <rmatov101@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2012 05:45:08 -0500
On Sun, 11 Mar 2012 17:29:50 +1100
Basil Chupin <blchupin@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 07/03/12 15:52, Brian K. White wrote:
On 3/2/2012 8:56 PM, Basil Chupin wrote:

Besides, this screensaver idea belongs to the 50s era when the
screen was likely to get a "burn in" which no longer applies and
hasn't applied for decades. How can you get a "burn in" on an LCD
monitor?

Pro Tip: google everything you are about to say just before you say
it from now on.

Thanks for the above.

Please, try with this article:
http://www.pcmag.com/encyclopedia_term/0,2542,t=screen+burn&i=50904,00.asp
Now we need only one more piece of information:
"Is my (your) monitor the one that doesn't need screen saver?"

It is obvious that this digression to ghost images is not addressing
any security relevant concern, so I'll stop here.

All messages related to screen saver use and its password protection did
not brought consent what default should be.

Per use case: It should run, have short time to start and it should be
password protected.

Basil use case: It should be disabled all together.

Brian use case: It should be enabled.

My use case: It should be enabled, with long time to start, and no need
for password protection.

We can list more use cases that will cover all other combinations of
settings.

As there is no single use case that fits all of us, and there is no
statistics about openSUSE usage, we can leave default as is and quit
this part of discussion.

Or, we can continue and confirm theory that amount of time spent in
discussion is inverse proportional to its importance for the subject.

--
Regards, Rajko