Re: [opensuse] 12.1 v slow as virtualbox guest
  • From: C <smaug42@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2012 18:07:49 +0100
On Fri, Mar 9, 2012 at 17:03, lynn <lynn@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Thanks for the effort. I've tried everything too. I'll have to accept that
Linux guests run slower. There is also another variable in that the vb that
ships with 12.1 has a bug which prevents text mode working with some
guests:-(
Anyway, it's here for the record.

Hmmmm I have no idea beyond the very low RAM on the host side.

I run VirtualBox VMs all the time... multiple ones side by side (more
than one VM running at a time) and I have full compositing turned on
etc. My system... AMD 3.4GHz Quadcore, 16GB RAM and a nVidia video
card. I usually allocate 1.5 to 2GB RAM to each Linux guest and max
out the video RAM slider. Otherwise all defaults on the individual VM
setup. VirtualBox is the one from Oracle (although the one on the
openSUSE repos should be the same) with the VBox extensions
installed... and each guest *always* has the VBox Addons installed as
the very first step after installing.

I ran this also on an AMD dual core with 8GB RAM with no speed issues.

Point to note... running VirtualBox on a Lenovo laptop with a T2400
1.8GHz CPU and 3GB of RAM... all Linux guests running on a Windows
host ran slow... so slow they were unusable.

Sorry there was no good solution for you.

C.