On Wednesday, March 07, 2012 16:12:14 Basil Chupin wrote:
On 07/03/12 00:30, Andreas Jaeger wrote:
On Tuesday, March 06, 2012 14:03:40 Per Jessen wrote:
Basil Chupin wrote:
People are forgetting that openSUSE is the 'experimental' software
which the "lab bunnies" are given for free to test, to report on the
bugs et al, and have their patience and nerves stretched to the
limit and all done with the ultimate aim of producing SUSE.

Uhm, not quite:

"No, we're not - anymore - the testing ground, openSUSE is upstream
of SLES"

Thanks for citing me quickly. I was just going to refute Basil and
state that openSUSE is a distribution on its own.

Andreas

Thank you, Andreas, for your response.

I realise that openSUSE is a distribution on it own now - well at least
since some recent time.

But then so are Ubuntu and Fedora and Mint and Debian and Red Hat
and......all are separate distributions :-) .

However, one cannot help noting the following entry in Wikipedia:

QUOTE

On April 27, 2011 Attachmate completed its acquisition of Novell.
Attachmate split Novell into two autonomous business units, Novell and
SUSE. Attachmate has no plans to change the relationship between SUSE
(formerly Novell) and the openSUSE project.

UNQUOTE

The question now needs to be asked and clarified: where does SLES fit in
- is it in the openSUSE "camp" or in the Novell/SUSE "camp"?

There is no Novell/SUSE anymore and thus no Novell/SUSE camp ;)

SUSE is the main sponsor of the openSUSE project. SUSE Linux Enterprise is
using openSUSE as it's upstream.

Andreas